Boarding kennels for the first time
Almost time for the wingnuts annual family jaunt and time for the kennels for the dogs stressful time for us after last year but they have been over  for day  visits to meet everyone I'm hoping it's going to be  a fun time for them
I can imagine you would be feeling anxious about it. Just the other day I met a lady who works at a local boarding kennel and I was asking questions. Not that I see myself needing to use one any time soon but you just never know what life might bring and I realised how unprepared my boys would be for such an event. I asked about spending a day there from time to time to see how things went(paid of course) but they weren't interested. I guess that wouldn't be the kennel for us anyway then. In the past I have had a house/pet sitter stay over but it's good to have a backup plan for emergencies.
(07-16-2017, 04:34 PM)Trifan Wrote: I can imagine you would be feeling anxious about it. Just the other day I met a lady who works at a local boarding kennel and I was asking questions. Not that I see myself needing to use one any time soon but you just never know what life might bring and I realised how unprepared my boys would be for such an event. I asked about spending a day there from time to time to see how things went(paid of course) but they weren't interested. I guess that wouldn't be the kennel for us anyway then. In the past I have had a house/pet sitter stay over but it's good to have a backup plan for emergencies.

The drop off went well , i waited 15 minutes with them in the courtyard skye happily playing with her ball the wee guy running around after her and getting lots of attention from the staff I don't think they noticed I had sneaked away
(07-16-2017, 04:34 PM)Trifan Wrote: I can imagine you would be feeling anxious about it. Just the other day I met a lady who works at a local boarding kennel and I was asking questions. Not that I see myself needing to use one any time soon but you just never know what life might bring and I realised how unprepared my boys would be for such an event. I asked about spending a day there from time to time to see how things went(paid of course) but they weren't interested. I guess that wouldn't be the kennel for us anyway then. In the past I have had a house/pet sitter stay over but it's good to have a backup plan for emergencies.

The drop off went well , i waited 15 minutes with them in the courtyard skye happily playing with her ball the wee guy running around after her and getting lots of attention from the staff I don't think they noticed I had sneaked away
That's one of the hardest things to do, for me. Like dropping the kids off at camp for the first time. You just don't know how they are going to feel about the whole experience.
Gotta love 'em.
Just picked them up both very happy to see us kennel people said they settled in very well , but Skye trembled all the way home Jura lay quiet as a mouse got them home and he started squealing because she was in another room and he couldn't see her very upsetting to hear , took them out for a good run through the fields and their more settled now having a snooze on the couch hopefully the kennels will soon be a distant memory
I worked in a boarding daycare for 5 years.
My advice is there are different set ups, so find one that suits your dogs. There are some where the dogs all go outside together all day. This would not suit my dogs, lol. Too much excitement to police for them, lol. Some the dogs have runs. Some inbetween.
Another thing to consider is if the dogs are outside together, are they separated, ie small and big dogs,
Wild party animals and quiet dogs, lol. Puppies where are they put, elderly dogs what happens with them.
Finally most importantly how many staff are working at any given time, to supervise. This is the biggie.
Are these staff young girls, who love dogs. Hmmm, not who I want to supervise a pack of dogs.
In an free for all set up you need very dog savvy people.

If I were to be honest some dogs do well in kennels, some dogs do not, but in general most do ok.
Their still abit clingy Jura still squealing if Skye's not in view at all times she seems abit hoarse but she's eating fine their getting plenty of TLC
Skye holding hands with my daughter

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I had a few recommendations for the kennels I use and am lucky in that they are very good! Dogs have big pens and then are exercised a couple of times a day on their own. They have a separate section for puppies and elderly which is a bit quieter and they know their dogs very well. I mentioned that Bron's mum (along with Aunt and Gran) had been in and as soon as I said the 3, just base don looks and behaviours they identified which was Bron's Mum and identified certain behaviours that Bron has that are identical to Mum's (way she greets you, way she jumps on things etc). I was pleased because it told me that they'd spent time with her to know her characteristics (she's only been in for 3 or 4 long weekend stays). And I actually have a struggle to get Bronwen in the car to go home as she loves the fusses and attention she gets haha. Only change we see in her after a stay is she's a lot more barky when she wants attention etc for a few days. But she settles down in a few days. I'm sure your furs will be back to their usual self soon Smile