We're on our way
Friday, I'll go and pick up my own little flock of sheep, only around 10, but mine, all mine. And Saturday, Micah and I will start stockwork lessons. Next February, when the stockdog trials in my area happen, I hope to be a participant, not just an observer. WooHoo!!!
Gotta love 'em.
That is awesome! Congrats!! Good luck with it all!!
Great news and good for you. /bacon Please post some pictures of the new flock.
Linda

One Border Collie Is Never Enough

[Image: P1160337-800x600_zps7nxqmgvy.jpg]

Congrats! 10 sheep?? You have way more ambition than I do! 36_2_46v
thats awesome, how exciting Smile
im reading a book atm called 'a home for rose' and its this guy with collies and he moves to the country and gets his own sheep, mainly for his dogs enjoyment and so he can work on herding.
do you pick out sheep who have been herded by collies before so they arent too skittish? or does it not matter?
[Image: rcpXqRE.jpg][Image: rcpXp1.png]
Well, I'm back. I got 4 ewes, 2 are very pregnant, and 6 ewe lambs. They have all been worked. Getting sheep that have no experience with dogs would be a mistake at this point, since my dogs aren't far enough along to dog break sheep. The lambs are green enough that they will still be a challenge for us to grow into.

It's funny how different sheep are from goats. If one of the goats wants to go somewhere, it just goes, and then the rest of the goats decide whether or not they want to go along. The sheep look to a leader and when she wants to go somewhere, she takes a couple steps that way then pauses, waiting for the others to notice. When they start in her direction, she leads them away.

I'll get pictures when I get some light. It was overcast and misting the whole day, 10 hours of driving. And I got back right before dark, so since it was overcast, it was already pretty dark.

My sheep are a mix of several different breeds, some katahdin, some Barbados Black Belly, something spotted, and something that has small or no ears(I didn't get any with no ears, yuck).
Gotta love 'em.
OMG, I see there is going to be a LOT of learning about sheep. Sheep with no ears??????????? Who knew.............. Glad the trip went OK and you are all home safe.
Linda

Bouncing /yahoo ......( :raspberry: 3d-sad (I'm jealous))
Owned by 5 Border Collies...watched over by an Angel
[Image: 030-Copy3_zps6e942801.jpg][Image: Laceyatwork-2-Copy_zpsa4a07ab7.jpg]
http://latikibc.com/
If I got this figured out, here are my sheep, collectively known as Rachel.

[Image: Rachel_zpsav2e4arg.jpg]
[Image: more%20Rachel_zpspqs7ri3c.jpg]

The 2 that are biggest and hairiest(one in each picture) are the pregnant ones. In the top picture she dropped her head so you can't see her, camera shy, I think.
Gotta love 'em.
Aww, they are all so different. Can't wait to see the babies. When will they be born?
Linda