Severe Bummer
Our local dog club has just been closed down for 2 weeks. We just had a club member's 7 month old fully vaccinated dog come down with parvo. We don't know yet if it is a vaccine resistant strain or if he is immune compromised. Parvo is common down here, but not in vaccinated dogs, and there were potentially hundreds exposed. Everyone who could have possibly had an exposed dog has to quarantine their dog. This has been one crazy start to the new year.
Gotta love 'em.
Will the grounds have to be treated or soil removed? Parvo is horrible.

Who has the scrubbing detail?
Linda

One Border Collie Is Never Enough

[Image: P1160337-800x600_zps7nxqmgvy.jpg]

We will be spraying bleach on everything, including the yard, which is mostly concrete. Fortunately, where we do have soil, it's just sand, which is easy to satuate. Scrubbing detail is everyone that shows up to help, and we have a pretty good crew. Last week was our annual "Spring Cleaning" where we don't hold classes for a week and everyone shows up to clean instead, so at least there are no wads of hair in the corners to deal with. It really is just a matter of getting bleach on every surface and then letting it dry. I've requested that they send out an email asking people with puppies and immune compromised dogs to not attend.
Gotta love 'em.
How long does parvo live on surfaces? I didn't realize there are vaccine resistant strains.
--Janet--
Adoption Date 6/11/13
Oh no! I really hope no other dogs get sick.

This is scary...I have always wondered about parvo and dog clubs. Fin was in a "puppy class" that started when he was 10 weeks old. All we needed to provide is proof that he had his first round of shots. What would happen if one puppy had parvo and transferred it to all of the other puppies in the class? There were 10 puppies in the class. This actually worried me because we had a parvo outbreak this past year in the city where I am from and many puppies and even older dogs died. It is a frightening thought.

I am happy that you have a lot of people helping to bleach everything!
Oh that is a rotten bit of stressful luck. So from the cleaning last week and now that place will literally sparkle and you can take fall off? If you want you all are welcome to share our facilities it's gonna be balmy thirty five degrees this weekend. You know ya wanna.Wink
Oh, yes, I'm just dying to visit Wisconsin in Winter. It's always been on my list of things to do, right after someplace like the Yukon.

Our facility has to be closed for 2 weeks, even though we are bleaching everything, in case something is missed. I will actually go a full 3 weeks, before I go back. And anybody with puppies or immune compromised dogs would be better off waiting the full 3 weeks.

They know there have been cases of vaccinated dogs getting parvo that have otherwise showed no sign of being immune compromised. They are looking into whether or not they are having cases of a vaccine resistant strain. I don't think they know yet if they do have a vaccine resistant strain. That would be very bad down here. We really do have perfect weather for parvo to survive in the soil for longer periods of time.
Gotta love 'em.
Is the vaccination something you could give again like as a booster just to make sure he had antibodies for it???
--Janet--
Adoption Date 6/11/13
It doesn't work that way. Either the immune system was stimulated enough for the body to produce antibodies, or it wasn't because there is a problem with the immune system, or the vaccine doesn't cover this strain at all. Vaccines for the common core viruses are actually good for a minimum of 5-7 years in healthy dogs, so if a dog loses immunity faster than that, there is something wrong with the dog, or it never had immunity in the first place. From all appearances, the original dog was a healthy dog, but you can't always see these thing, since there has to be an exposure to know. He may have just been really lucky and never had an exposure to anything before now, but since we live in a warm humid climate, that isn't likely.

BTW, Trek, the sick pup, is doing very well. At this time the vet is talking about sending him home tomorrow, but the owners are arguing for the vet to keep him another day out of an abundance of caution.
Gotta love 'em.