All Border Collie Forums
Pooping feels AWESOME! (apparently...) - Printable Version

+- All Border Collie Forums (http://www.allbordercollies.com)
+-- Forum: General Dog Discussion (http://www.allbordercollies.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: Health and Nutrition (http://www.allbordercollies.com/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Pooping feels AWESOME! (apparently...) (/thread-16614.html)

Pooping feels AWESOME! (apparently...) - Ember - 10-07-2017

Just curious if there are any other BCs out there that get an absolute joy out of pooping. Ember has suddenly taken to wanting to go for a really nice run right after emptying herself. She "kicks it away", looks at me with that goofy BC grin, throws her head back and ruuuuuuuns (on and off leash). It is absolutely hillarious. It looks like she is so proud of herself. And it's not like zoomies - its like play. If she's off leash she'll pounce me with a puppy pounce and try to get me to chase her (this is all so new! Like, within the past few weeks new). On leash she wants to race me.

RE: Pooping feels AWESOME! (apparently...) - Tasha's&Mattie'sMom - 10-07-2017

That is so funny!  Every once in a while my GSD would kick out his back feet and strut around like he did something wonderful... And me saying, "Yes, you are big and bad, you went potty!"  Mattie and Tasha tend to treat Pooping like it is something to be avoided at all costs.  They will go and the run away as if to say, "That was disgusting, who did that!"

RE: Pooping feels AWESOME! (apparently...) - Ember - 10-07-2017

That's so funny. It's definitely a "I'm so proud of myself" prance LOL! What makes them think that I wonder? And why now? She is such a weirdo.

RE: Pooping feels AWESOME! (apparently...) - Gideon's mom - 10-12-2017

That behavior is called post marking. It's pointing the way to a scent that marks territory to any stray animal that comes into the area.

RE: Pooping feels AWESOME! (apparently...) - Trifan - 10-12-2017

(10-12-2017, 07:10 AM)Gideon Wrote: That behavior is called post marking.  It's pointing the way to a scent that marks territory to any stray animal that comes into the area.

I always wondered what that behaviour was about. It always makes me smile as I think, "yeah, yeah, your the man".

Jasper does it more so than Max. Max does his business and then does a kind of tip toed leap away from it before tentatively coming back for distant sniff by stretching his head out but not getting too close. "eww, don't want to get any on me" haha

RE: Pooping feels AWESOME! (apparently...) - Trifan - 10-12-2017

(10-07-2017, 11:15 PM)Ember Wrote: That's so funny. It's definitely a "I'm so proud of myself" prance LOL! What makes them think that I wonder? And why now? She is such a weirdo.

re: why now ? Maybe the diet you have settled on with her is so agreeable to her that evacuating her bowel feels very complete and therefore satisfyingly comfortable in that region afterwards. Just a guess !

RE: Pooping feels AWESOME! (apparently...) - Gideon's mom - 10-12-2017

Likely, her change in behavior here is a reflection of her confidence level. She isn't worried about anybody knowing she lives nearby.

RE: Pooping feels AWESOME! (apparently...) - Ember - 10-12-2017

I bet it's a mix of both of those! She's loving the Darwins. Turns out it was the BEEF she was turning her nose up at - it was just in a weird spot in the rotation so she was eating it out of hunger and skipping the next part that came up. I had it removed this month, but they managed to screw up my order in the process - I have a TON of chicken (added back in), turkey, and duck, but maybe 1 sleeve of lamb. That's a lot of poultry! I'm going to have to call again and get it sorted. It's a first so I can let it pass this time Tongue

For the confidence, she actually started working for the clicker last night! I had tried off and on for several months to "charge the clicker" with her, but after just a handful of repetitions (literally no asked behavior, just click-treat-click-treat), she'd start flinching/turning away and in only a few clicks leave all together. I figured it was the metal sound (still can't get past keys, and it's been 2 years, and heaven forbid I put a metal bowl down). So I've been using voice for Ember and clicker for the cat (so Ember would leave us alone). Well last night, she wasn't having it - she wanted in on EVERYTHING. I actually had to crate her and toss a treat to her every time I clicked the cat. So after working with Anya I started working Ember and this girl worked for several minutes STRAIGHT on the clicker, using a crushed up milkbone as a reward. Surprised the mess out of me!