All Border Collie Forums
Going to see a rescue dog tomorrow - wish me luck... - Printable Version

+- All Border Collie Forums (http://www.allbordercollies.com)
+-- Forum: All Border Collies (http://www.allbordercollies.com/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Border Collie Discussion (http://www.allbordercollies.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Going to see a rescue dog tomorrow - wish me luck... (/thread-16503.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Going to see a rescue dog tomorrow - wish me luck... - UKPete - 07-12-2017

....and feel free to offer last-minute tips and words of advice!

He's a one year old, short coated dog who has been given up by his family because they have a son with special needs and they aren't able to cope.  He's described as 'friendly and bouncy' Big Grin.  Apparently, he's also house and crate trained, good with other dogs and in a car, friendly and knows some basic commands.  He sounds like the perfect dog - what could possibly go wrong?!

Even though it's a 3 hour round trip (that's a reasonable distance for those of us in England Wink ), I was thinking of seeing how it goes tomorrow afternoon then if all goes well, going back at the weekend and spending longer with him before making a decision.

Fingers crossed!

RE: Going to see a rescue dog tomorrow - wish me luck... - Trifan - 07-12-2017

(07-12-2017, 09:55 AM)UKPete Wrote: ....and feel free to offer last-minute tips and words of advice!

He's a one year old, short coated dog who has been given up by his family because they have a son with special needs and they aren't able to cope.  He's described as 'friendly and bouncy' Big Grin.  Apparently, he's also house and crate trained, good with other dogs and in a car, friendly and knows some basic commands.  He sounds like the perfect dog - what could possibly go wrong?!

Even though it's a 3 hour round trip (that's a reasonable distance for those of us in England Wink ), I was thinking of seeing how it goes tomorrow afternoon then if all goes well, going back at the weekend and spending longer with him before making a decision.

Fingers crossed!

Sounds like a great plan and good on you for being prepared to make several trips. I am sure a reputable rescue will appreciate your intentions. It really does sound promising and I sincerely hope it works out for you this time. Yep, fingers crossed and hope we soon see photo's of your new dog.

RE: Going to see a rescue dog tomorrow - wish me luck... - Tasha's&Mattie'sMom - 07-12-2017

Please let us know how the meeting goes. He sounds like a great puppy that was too much for his former owner.

RE: Going to see a rescue dog tomorrow - wish me luck... - only-borders - 07-13-2017

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed everything works out for the best.

RE: Going to see a rescue dog tomorrow - wish me luck... - Williewingnut - 07-13-2017

Good luck with the new dog hope all goes well

RE: Going to see a rescue dog tomorrow - wish me luck... - Gideon's mom - 07-13-2017

Sounds like a good plan! Safe travels and good luck!

RE: Going to see a rescue dog tomorrow - wish me luck... - UKPete - 07-13-2017

Thanks so much for the good wishes, and encouragement.  I spent half an hour with the dog today, and am going back on Saturday to spend longer with him.  I have to say he seems a really sweet energetic young collie - quite bouncy, but not at all mouthy and apparently interested in everything - also very affectionate (came bounding in and leapt up onto my lap the first time we met).  To my uneducated eye, his body language seemed fine - ears pricked but no lunging, stiffness or rigid tail.  He knows, and responds to, 'down' and 'stay'.

I'm very glad that you warned me to expect him to be stressed in the rescue centre - he'd been there less than 24 hours when I met him today, having been given up yesterday by the family he had spent his first year with.  He was panting quite a bit, and also I notice was straining to poo - just bits of diarrhea came out.  The rescue said it might be a combination of the stress and being on different food from what he's used to.  Is this something I should be concerned about?

It is quite a sad back story in that his family had to give him up because they had a six year old son with Autism, and the family weren't able to give enough time to an energetic young border collie.  But by all accounts he was excellent with the young boy - gentle.

Thank you again for the support, and roll on Saturday - hopefully the dog and I will like each other as much when we meet again.

Pete

The dog's name is 'Zap' by the way.  If I do adopt him, I'll definitely be changing it!

RE: Going to see a rescue dog tomorrow - wish me luck... - Trifan - 07-13-2017

So glad it went so well for you. At only twelve months he's still just a pup. Sounds like he has all the puppy enthusiasm for life and has not been given any reason to be cautious. Sad that his family had to give him up but very wise and realistic of them also because not having the time to put into an energetic and smart dog is a recipe for trouble.
Yes, it is highly likely that a sudden change in diet has caused a tummy upset. Even changing from a puppy blend to adult in the same brand can do this if time isn't taken to switch over.
The panting is likely to be a combination of anxiety/stress over the whole situation and perhaps also overstimulation from all the new experiences but it is promising that he is still an enthusiastic and social boy. Not shy and cautious.
Look forward to hearing about Saturday. Will they let you take him for a little walk for some one on one time ?

RE: Going to see a rescue dog tomorrow - wish me luck... - Ember - 07-13-2017

Second what Trifan said. Sounds like a good boy for sure. Definitely try to get some one on one with him and spend as much time as you can with him on the next visit. Good luck and keep us posted!

RE: Going to see a rescue dog tomorrow - wish me luck... - Tasha's&Mattie'sMom - 07-13-2017

Tasha has gotten an upset stomach from stress and just a couple of weeks ago when we were visiting family she had tummy trouble from sneaking away from me and eating another dog's food so I wouldn't be concerned. Have you asked the rescue how he is around strange dogs?