All Border Collie Forums
Puppy has mites - Printable Version

+- All Border Collie Forums (http://www.allbordercollies.com)
+-- Forum: All Border Collies (http://www.allbordercollies.com/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Border Collie Discussion (http://www.allbordercollies.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Puppy has mites (/thread-16271.html)

Pages: 1 2

Puppy has mites - Williewingnut - 03-18-2017

Another trip to the vets today think we have a season pass wee fella has been scratching and biting himself couldn't see any fleas or anything but apparently has mites vet ordered medication for him we collect it on Monday is there  anything we can use just now to soothe the itch think every been bitten we are all scratching

RE: Puppy has mites - Loyal Border - 03-18-2017

I'm not certain but I've heard you can wash them in blue dawn dish soap if they have fleas.

RE: Puppy has mites - only-borders - 03-18-2017

Are they skin mites or ear mites? 

Either one, I can't believe the vet didn't give you the medication right away. That's terrible to put the pup through 2 days with no treatment. 

If it is skin mites I would suggest you do give him a good bath with the blue dawn dish soap. It won't cure the mites but it should help until you can get the medication.

RE: Puppy has mites - Williewingnut - 03-18-2017

(03-18-2017, 10:32 AM)only-borders Wrote: Are they skin mites or ear mites? 

Either one, I can't believe the vet didn't give you the medication right away. That's terrible to put the pup through 2 days with no treatment. 

If it is skin mites I would suggest you do give him a good bath with the blue dawn dish soap. It won't cure the mites but it should help until you can get the medication.

Skin mites , looks like dandruff and yeah sent us home with no treatment the medication had to be ordered and won't arrive till Monday poor pup was squealing when he was scratching so I've taken him to pets at home and they have given him something to soothe his skin he seems to be More comfortable not happy with this vet I've mentioned many times that he has been scratching when we have been to see him about his diarrhea I was told he couldn't Be given any flea/ worm treatment for 4 weeks  because he had been treated For fleas/worms the day before we picked him up.

RE: Puppy has mites - Trifan - 03-18-2017

Poor little fellow, he's really having a rough start. Gosh, what a silly vet. If he already knew the pup had been treated for fleas why wouldn't he automatically suspect something else all along. So glad you were able to get something to sooth his skin, I can't believe the vet didn't even have a product to help with the itching until the actual treatment arrives. If you have other veterinary options I'd be looking at them. Geez, I can't believe they don't have a common treatment like that in stock, it's not like it is some weird and rare condition. I hope the little fellow is feeling better soon.

(03-18-2017, 01:01 PM)Trifan Wrote: Poor little fellow, he's really having a rough start. Gosh, what a silly vet. If he already knew the pup had been treated for fleas why wouldn't he automatically suspect something else all along. So glad you were able to get something to sooth his skin, I can't believe the vet didn't even have a product to help with the itching until the actual treatment arrives. If you have other veterinary options I'd be looking at them. Geez, I can't believe they don't have a common treatment like that in stock, it's not like it is some weird and rare condition. I hope the little fellow is feeling better soon.

I will not be happy if they have ordered something like frontline that I could have bought from a pet shop he seems more content the shop assistant suggested an Aloe Vera and tea tree oil spay to soothe the skin which has worked the older dogs been treated to

RE: Puppy has mites - Trifan - 03-18-2017

Sounds like the pet store is doing their best to look after him, thank goodness. Aloe Vera and Tea Tree oil are both fantastic substances in themselves and will compliment each other in a treatment. We use Tea Tree for all manner of things in our home. Just as a matter of interest, Manuka Honey which is touted as having fantastic medicinal properties is from bee's that feed on specific Tea Tree's found mostly in New Zealand and Australia. It is widely used in the health care industry in Australia for the treatment of ulcerations (particularly in the aged) that are resistant to other treatments. It is anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and has amazing healing properties.

(03-18-2017, 01:45 PM)Trifan Wrote: Sounds like the pet store is doing their best to look after him, thank goodness. Aloe Vera and Tea Tree oil are both fantastic substances in themselves and will compliment each other in a treatment. We use Tea Tree for all manner of things in our home. Just as a matter of interest, Manuka Honey which is touted as having fantastic medicinal properties is from bee's that feed on specific Tea Tree's found mostly in New Zealand and Australia. It is widely used in the health care industry in Australia for the treatment of ulcerations (particularly in the aged) that are resistant to other treatments. It is anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and has amazing healing properties.

Spent so much  money on vets bills the last few weeks I could have went abroad on holiday but I'm not complaining can't see the poor pup suffering he's fast asleep now a lot more content , only problem now is everyone's scratching and googling the symptoms and diagnosing scabies oh the joys of the internet

Alot more settled

RE: Puppy has mites - only-borders - 03-18-2017

The dogs bedding and things need to be washed. The mites will stay in the carpet also. Mites will go from pet to pet. 

This is a snipet I took from an article on skin mites. 

Treatment

When a dog displays cheyletiellosis, all animals in the household must be treated, as the mite can live for up to ten days away from a host. It is also important to thoroughly clean bedding, kennels, and rugs, so that the mite does not re-infect your dog, or infect other pets. Pets must then be bathed six to eight times a week to remove skin scales. In addition to insecticide and lime-sulfur rinses, your veterinarian may also prescribe oral medications. If the dog has a long coat, it must be clipped to a short length.

Living and Management

If you have been in contact with an infected animal, or your pet is infested with the Cheyletiella mite, you may develop a reaction, such as itching, small red bumps, or minor lesions, but the condition will clear on its own through the normal course of bathing yourself. It is best if you disinfecting your dog and its living environment, as well as disinfect and/or discard its combs, brushes, and other grooming equipment.

I second the option of finding another vet if possible.