Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username
  

Password
  





Forum Statistics
» Members: 11,582
» Latest member: Zoe Spencer
» Forum threads: 16,605
» Forum posts: 185,369

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 7 online users.
» 0 Member(s) | 7 Guest(s)

 
  The Stuff of BC Nightmares!!!! **Thanks Brandon!**
Posted by: BCMixs - 06-24-2008, 08:14 PM - Forum: General Border Collie Discussion - Replies (6)

Brandon brought this movie to my attention and I had to laugh! When your dog is whimpering in his sleep, this is what he's seeing!!!

Black Sheep Movie

[Image: black-sheep-poster.jpg]

[Image: black-sheep.jpg]

BRING ME THE BORDER COLLIE!!!!!

[Image: blacksheep.jpg]

FRIGGIN' HILARIOUS! Now I have to rent it!

Print this item

  photos
Posted by: yozzo - 06-24-2008, 11:34 AM - Forum: Off-Topic - Replies (5)

guess the photos didnt work out,try again eh!!!!

Print this item

  newbies with molly 7yr old collie
Posted by: yozzo - 06-24-2008, 11:26 AM - Forum: Off-Topic - Replies (3)

hi from newbies chris mand and molly our 7 yr old border collie bitch

Print this item

  Had a Thunderstorm Today
Posted by: Brandon M - 06-21-2008, 11:01 PM - Forum: General Discussion - Replies (11)

Kinda of a crazy day. About 2pm this afternoon we had a big thunderstorm. I never realized how many dogs are afraid of thunder until today. We rarely get other dogs on our property but after the thunderstorm 5 dogs showed up at our place. I knew the owners of 4 of them and was able to lock two Labradors back in their yard, and notify the owners of a large mix (no idea what breeds) and a little jack russel. Then a Golden Retreiver shows up and I keep him for 4 and a half hours until his owners get home and come and get him. The owners said that he is afraid of thunder and had dug under the fence, and they live 2 1/2 miles away from me.

Im glad thunder doesn't seem to bother my own dogs.

Print this item

  Raisins and Grapes
Posted by: Gabby0507 - 06-20-2008, 07:47 AM - Forum: Health and Nutrition - Replies (4)

I don't know how many of you know this, but my vet has told me about Raisins and Grapes before and how bad the ycan be for dogs. I just got this e-mail about them. Thought I'd share it!
If you have a dog... PLEASE read this and send it on. If> you don't have> a dog, please pass along to friends who do.> > Written by: Laurinda Morris, DVM> Danville Veterinary Clinic> Danville , Ohio> > This week I had the first case in history of raisin> toxicity ever seen> at MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male> neutered lab mix> that ate half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30> AM and 4:30 PM> on Tuesday. He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking> about 1AM on> Wednesday but the owner didn't call my emergency> service until 7AM.> > I had heard somewhere about raisins AND grapes causing> acute Renal> failure but hadn't seen any formal paper on the> subject. We had her> bring the dog in immediately. In the meantime, I called the> ER service> at MedVet, and the doctor there was like me - had heard> something about> it, but....> > Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison> Control Center and> they said to give I V fluids at 1 1/2 times maintenance and> watch the> kidney values for the next 48-72 hours.> > The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already> at 32 (normal less> than 27) and creatinine! over 5 ( 1.9 is the high end of> normal). Both> are monitors of kidney function in the bloodstream. We> placed an IV> catheter and started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values> at 5 PM and> the BUN was over 4 0 and creat inine over 7 with no urine> production> after a liter of fluids. At the point I felt the dog was in> acute renal> failure and sent him on to MedVet for a urinary catheter to> monitor> urine output overnight as well as overnight care.> > He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal> values have> continued to incr ease daily. He produced urine when given> lasix as a> diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications> and they still> couldn't control his vomiting. Today his urine output> decreased again,> his BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his> phosphorus was very> elevated and his blood pressure, which had been staying> around 150,> skyrocketed to 220.. He continued to vomit and the owners> elected to> euthanize.> > This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had> no idea> raisins could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know> who has a dog> of this very serious risk. Poison control said as few as 7> raisins or> grapes could be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs> grapes or> raisins as treats including our ex-handler's. Any> exposure should give> rise to immediate concern.> > Even if you don't have a dog, you might have friends> who do. This is> worth passing on to them

Print this item

  My Son is Married and Gay!
Posted by: BCMixs - 06-19-2008, 07:12 PM - Forum: Off-Topic - Replies (2)

LOL - kidding. Sorta. He's living in Santa Monica with his girlfriend and her family this summer. He called me today talking about watching that show about the couple with 8 kids (Tom and Kate Plus 8 or something), Top Chef and Kathy Griffin. I think fuzzy slippers and crackers in bed is right around the corner! LOL! He's settled into comfortable married bliss and there's no ring on the girl's finger! There hasn't even been drama with her or her family or anything (it's only 2 weeks so far though)! He's so marrying this girl!

ETA! Oh! Oh! Oh! And Flipping Out on Bravo! He's watching Flipping Out!!! LOL! /think

Print this item

  This time last summer.........
Posted by: LJS1993 - 06-19-2008, 05:23 PM - Forum: Off-Topic - Replies (7)

I was laid up due to knee surgery, saw a pic of a very boyish looking female involved in dog "rescue", (BCMIX should know what I'm talking about) :lol:, was high on Vicodin, and well, who knows............ What were you up to this time last summer?

Print this item

  Warning - Cocoa Garden Mulch
Posted by: Brandon M - 06-16-2008, 12:56 PM - Forum: Health and Nutrition - Replies (1)

Crossposted from another forum -

Warning - Garden Mulch

This is more of a warning than a discussion point, although it does raise issues like - why was there no warning on the packaging?
This message came to us from Ali Taylor, Head of Welfare, Battersea DH.
Quote:
Yesterday one of our dog agility friends experienced a tragedy and wanted me to pass a special message along to all of my dog loving friends and family. Please tell every dog owner you know.

Over the weekend the doting owner of two young lab mixes purchased Cocoa Mulch from Target to use in their garden. They loved the way it smelled and it was advertised to keep cats away from their garden.

Their dog Calypso decided that the mulch smelled good enough to eat and devoured a large helping. She vomited a few times which was typical when she eats something new but wasn't acting lethargic in any way. The next day, Mum woke up and took Calypso out for her morning walk. Half way through the walk, she had a seizure and died instantly.

Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label, upon further investigation on the company's website, this product is HIGHLY toxic to dogs and cats.

Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey's, and they claim that "It is true that studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can
suffer physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog). However, 98% of all dogs won't eat it."

Also included was the following information -

Quote:
Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman's Garden Supply and other Garden supply stores, contains a lethal ingredient called "Theobromine". It is lethal to dogs and cats. It smells like chocolate and it really attracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die.
Several deaths already occurred in the last 2-3 weeks. Just a word of caution, check what you are using in your gardens and be aware of what your gardeners are using in your gardens.

Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of theobromine, a xanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine and theophylline. A dog that ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cacao bean shells developed severe convulsions and died 17 hours later. Analysis of the stomach contents and the ingested cacao bean shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts of theobromine.

Print this item

  i'm confused!
Posted by: isdeards - 06-16-2008, 04:27 AM - Forum: Introduce Yourself - Replies (6)

thought i had already introduced myself and Jess here :?

anyhow - just in case here goes............
My name is Iona and i have a hubby, 3 boys, a cat, 10 rats, 2 rabbits and some fish
ohh yes and Jess, our BC - he is scrummy, a bit of a loon, but he is adorable!
we got him from a rescue centre almost a year ago and he has settled in very well with us.
here is Jess.......
[Image: 140.jpg]

Print this item

  Border Collie Corky stays with dying owner after plane crash
Posted by: BCMixs - 06-10-2008, 05:48 PM - Forum: General Border Collie Discussion - Replies (2)

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.insideedition.com/news.aspx?storyID=1782">http://www.insideedition.com/news.aspx?storyID=1782</a><!-- m -->


Gotta love these dogs! Comes through a plane crash and goes back into the plane to be with its owner. Cry

Print this item