You are not logged in.

Register or Login to remove ads.

Dear visitor, welcome to All Border Collies Forums. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Cooped

Intermediate

• "Cooped" started this thread

Thursday, July 25th 2013, 4:49pm

managing anxiety and fear

Coop and I have different ways of dealing with his anxiety and fear. He obsesses over the cat. I have tried various ways to manage this behavior. I doubt he would hurt her, but the focus is too intense for his good. She could care less. So, today he had a huge scare. A guy broke some ice on the side of his truck. Sound sensitive Coop nearly had heart failure. It took a bit, but I managed to move him along. Any big noise (trucks door slamming etc ) made him crouch in terror. As soon as we got home he headed straight for his crate and spent most of the morning there.

Now for the cat thing. He fixated on her from the shelter of his crate. When I put the food balls down for him and Alley, he didn't budge. Why? His eyes were on the cat. I've noticed if I can interrupt the focus - a knock, a touch then he gives me his complete attention. I draped a blanket over his crate. Five minutes later he was out and looking for his food ball. So perhaps I will leave his crate draped. It looks like a disobedience issue, but it's not. He's quite happy to focus on me when he wakes from his delirium. Fear and Loathing in Harvey.

Meanwhile the three month old is asleep on my back porch with the door shut. She likes to hang out there. Ha.

Social bookmarks