You are not logged in.

Register or Login to remove ads.

Dear visitor, welcome to All Border Collies Forums. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

fox_y

Camera Crazy Member

• "fox_y" started this thread

Sunday, December 30th 2012, 1:23am

A little competition.

One of my best friends and I are going to be having a small competition between ourselves.

We both desire to be in better shape yet are so horribly lazy about going to the gym. We've tried to be gym buddies but if one says she'd rather go have ice cream that is what we do, lol!
But recently I found out that she can be very easily motivated if there is a nice carrot at the finish line. And I thought, well why not.

Starting January 6th we're both going to the same gym and going to get measured, then we're going to compete with one another for at least one month and see which one of us will do better, the loser will have to treat the winner to a dinner and a movie.
I'm really hoping this will be the kick in the rump I need to get myself into better shape and to do my much needed lifestyle change. *sigh* I drink to much cola and eat too much fatty foods and when I cook I love to make a creamy sauce. The madness must end.

pron. aous-roon & fly-gyah

Jewels

Julie the human and Keira the puppy dog

Sunday, December 30th 2012, 1:50am

Lol sounds like an excellent motivator!

That said - I advocate getting pregnant for a healthier lifestyle (j/k! ;) ) Nothing makes you adjust your eating habits and evaluate the junk you put in your body quite like it! I 'swear' my body is a 'temple' to healthy living right now. :)

Am I right in thinking that you play roller derby? Do you have off-skates training too? We have incorporated an hour a week of circuit training into our team's training regime and it does wonders for fitness. Training sessions are split into equal parts off-skates fitness, on-skates indurance, technical n tactics, and scrimmage.

Edit: words in speechmarks because the forum was automatically making emoticons out of the text. Edit again: Oh, still doing it. Never mind.

fox_y

Camera Crazy Member

Sunday, December 30th 2012, 1:56am

hahahaha! I think I'll pass on the pregnancy bit, but thank you for the advice all the same. :P

I do play roller derby, though there's been a lull in our practice regime since November as there are so few of us still, and people have been either busy with school, life or sick this fall.

It's only been a year since we started this up here so it's coming along slowly. We practice twice a week for two hours at a time and the first 20 - 30 minutes we warm up off skates.

Doing derby is a very good exercise but I also need to mix it up a little and of course rethink my eating habits. After all losing weight is 70% diet and 30% exercise.

Sunday, December 30th 2012, 4:10am

Fixed those emoticons.

I think it's a great Idea Asrun. My brother and I have done similar. No real reward but having someone to work out with and "compete" with in a way is a motivator in itself. Good luck!

kglacer

Professional

Sunday, December 30th 2012, 1:31pm

Can I join?? Ugh! I tried the gym and with a buddy but its the same for us ie rather go out to eat instead!! I found out I am not a gym person and living where I do it is very inconvenient so I started work out videos at home. They did okay but changing my diet and eating habits (I eat for 4) made the biggest difference. This summer I made a home gym and was doing really good and felt great and then Finns neuter happened and my routine went out the window, my exercise with him went with it and I started to eat my feelings!!!! Christmas has now put me over the top and I was just thinking this morning I need to get back into a routine and start using the awesome and convenient gym downstairs!!! But I have to conjure up the motivation some how..... I am also current practicing my self control lol there is a chocolate bar on my night stand as I lay in bed writing this and I am starving and it's somehow still there untouched.... Lol

Good luck and we'll be here anytime you need a kick in the butt from the interweb!
- Katrina, Finnigan & Tex

fox_y

Camera Crazy Member

Sunday, December 30th 2012, 1:40pm

Thanks Katrina.

It's amazing how things can go haywire. About a year ago I was so good and went to the gym at least three times a week and watched what I ate, then I got the flu and couldn't go to the gym and I was feeling so bad that I allowed myself to eat fatty things and when I was beginning to feel better all motivation to eat healthy and exercise had melted away like snow on a hot summers day.... and it's so hard to get started again!
I know it won't be so bad once I begin but that first step out the door is just so hard

kglacer

Professional

Sunday, December 30th 2012, 1:47pm

It's crazy how hard it is to get and how easy it is to fall apart!!

I'm a big pasta/bread/carbs person so I try and eat super healthy foods for breakfast, snacks and lunch and I allow my suppers to be more carb and calorie filled, plus Finn is good exercise when he's up to par. I also don't buy shitty snack foods and try not to let Brian into the grocery stores alone!! I've caved in the past few months and let him get cookies but he's always yelling at me that it shouldn't matter if the food is there I should have the self control not to eat it - Lmao!!! Ya right I wouldn't be in this position if I had that kind of self control.

You should see my cupboards right now - two bags of chips (Brian: for the holidays) , baked goodies out the ying yang and loads of chocolate!!! *sigh*

My "motivation" is I refuse to buy new pants :) lol I am going to start my routine next Monday! I'm looking forward to hearing who wins your competition at the end of the month :)

fox_y

Camera Crazy Member

Sunday, December 30th 2012, 1:55pm

Yay, then we can pep each other up whenever we're at the breaking point and feel like raiding the cupboards! :P

kglacer

Professional

Sunday, December 30th 2012, 1:58pm

..... About that chocolate bar I mentioned..........

Sunday, December 30th 2012, 2:37pm

I heard something on the radio the other day that I thought would be a good motivator.
This weight guru guy said get rid of your scale - don't weigh yourself and instead go
buy some clothes like some nice jeans or dress whatever in the size you want to be and just try it on
once a month. He says it is the biggest motivator there is and that the scale can actually make you
want to give up on the weight loss since scales fluctuate and do not take into account for muscle weight
Anyway.. I may have to try this too.. Um as I am stuffing the last of the Christmas cookies in my mouth as I type this 8|
Cathy, Eddie & Joe

Monday, December 31st 2012, 1:01am

..... About that chocolate bar I mentioned..........
LOL When I read that other post I thought "I bet she ate the chocolate after posting that".

kglacer

Professional

Monday, December 31st 2012, 1:34am

Hahahahahaha Brandon it lasted a good 20 minutes. That's a record for me! :)

Monday, December 31st 2012, 11:36am

I have absolutely zero motivation when it comes to exercise and my boyfriend does the majority of our cooking. I always ask him for smaller portions and he always makes them equal! My friend and I joined the gym years ago and I went once, so we took me off the membership.

My job involves moving about and some heavy lifting which is good for keeping fit and Mia has done wonders. My boyfriend had to buy a belt and appears to have gone down a shirt size since we got her!

I felt quite chunky on Christmas day though. I want to start going running, but I'm a bit nervous to do it in my area cause I live in a dodgy place.

Good on you Asrun. Now you have a lot of people to push you through hard times.

Monday, December 31st 2012, 2:29pm

I am terrible for not going to the gyk. Although since starting working at the tanning salon (i know... Shhh) I have been using the vibration plates snd they really work!! Screw the gym, standing on a wobbly plate for 20 mins every few days is my kind of weightloss haha!

Monday, December 31st 2012, 3:40pm

Have you ever tried one of the beachbody products like insanity,p90x or turbofire.They have more but imo they ones are the best ones and its amazing the transformation if you actually stick to it.If you look on youtube theres lots of results videos in 90 days or under.

Jewels

Julie the human and Keira the puppy dog

Thursday, January 3rd 2013, 4:48pm

I agree with getting rid of the scales, they're utterly pointless. My work buddy is obsessed with her scales and pats herself on the back every time she loses 4 pounds in a week...she fails to mention when she puts it back on again though, which is usually the next week because quite frankly this is about as much as your body fluctuates normally anyway.

I'm also very against the crash/faddy dieting stuff. It's such an unhealthy thing to put your body through, and can't be doing much for emotional well-being either. It's like the modern equivalent of self-flagellation, punishing yourself with starvation and malnourishment.

The only real way to get fit and feel good is to be active. Simple.

(I type this whilst easting biscuits...but in my defence I have just been for a swim ;) )

Psylocide

Stealthin'

Thursday, January 3rd 2013, 4:56pm

You can lose weight without ever setting foot in the gym (not that I recommend that).

The key is to determine how many calories a day you need to maintain your current weight.

This tool is really neat and gives you a great starting point for how many calories to consume to reach a specified goal by a specified date.

Of course, these tools provide estimations and it takes a little time to get to the point where you're losing exactly 1 lb per week (ideal).

Remember, weight loss is all calories in vs. calories out. If you aren't losing weight 'fast enough,' cut out another 200 - 300 calories per day and see where you end up the next week you weigh yourself. Weigh yourself once a week on the same day/same time period.

Good luck!
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Thursday, January 3rd 2013, 5:04pm

We don't have scales and I find this detrimental to me. I weigh myself whenever we go to my boyfriend's parents' and every time I've lost weight.

In between, however, I feel fat every time I look in the mirror even though my bmi is perfectly healthy (if on the low side). I think I need a set of scales to help me feel better.

Psylocide

Stealthin'

Thursday, January 3rd 2013, 5:09pm

We don't have scales and I find this detrimental to me. I weigh myself whenever we go to my boyfriend's parents' and every time I've lost weight.

In between, however, I feel fat every time I look in the mirror even though my bmi is perfectly healthy (if on the low side). I think I need a set of scales to help me feel better.

Well, you need to have a healthy balance between what the scale says you weigh and how you look in the mirror.

Actually, a lot of people can end up 'skinny-fat' where, technically, they are not overweight... but have very low muscle mass (from not working out or consuming enough protein), which results in a 'bad' image in the mirror but good numbers on the scale. They usually end up carrying fat in the stomach/butt etc. but look skinny everywhere else.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

kglacer

Professional

Thursday, January 3rd 2013, 6:34pm

^^^^^^
This is me.

I focused on the number on the scale and I finally reached my goal but now I have to get muscle and tone back. I do somewhat obsess over the scale (meaning I step on it almost every morning) but I know mentally that once I start exercising and gaining muscle that number is going to go up again and I will be okay with it as long as I feel and look good about myself!

I downloaded this app called Nike Training and it looks really good - I am just downloading music now on my computer so I can put it on my phone - the app uses it and when you need to switch what you're doing the music stops and tells you! I'm starting Monday!! /cheer