You are not logged in.

Register or Login to remove ads.

Dear visitor, welcome to All Border Collies Forums. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Tuesday, September 11th 2012, 3:23am

Looking for female border collie to breed with our male border collie

Hi, my name is Joy and my husband and I have 3 beautiful Border Collies.
George (daddy) is 12, Sophie (mommy) is 4, and Samson (son) is 2. After Sophie's last litter, we had her spade. Now we want to continue George and Sophies blood line with Samson. He weighs 72#, black and white with a gorgeous tail like his mother's. If interested, or know of someone who may be, please email me at joy.kruse@ymail.com
We live in NE Indiana.

Thanks!

Joy/wave

Tuesday, September 11th 2012, 3:45am

RE: Looking for female border collie to breed with our male border collie

What makes him worthy of being bred? What health testing and accomplishments does he have? There's a lot to think about with responsible breeding.....

"Dog lovers are a good breed themselves"
~Gladys Taber

Mellykca

Professional

Tuesday, September 11th 2012, 6:24am

Quoted from "Toddsmom"

What makes him worthy of being bred? What health testing and accomplishments does he have? There's a lot to think about with responsible breeding.....

I understand health testing is important in responsible breeding, but I never understood why a dog needs accomplishments to be bred. Just curious...

Although I am all for requiring accomplishments in human breeding =P

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole"

Tuesday, September 11th 2012, 2:08pm

Because if the dog has no accomplishments it hasn't been proven to be breed worthy. I think all border collies should have atleast the most basic herding instincts before even dreaming of breeding them. If they haven't proven that they excel at some activity, then they aren't any more worthy of being bred than my rescue dachshunds, who are great pets. Nevermu d that they are highly inbred from a puppy mill with a slew of issues that wouldn't have been tested for. There are plenty of pet quality dogs that are the product of purposeful working/sporting/confo breedings that there is no reason to breed specifically for anymore of them.

~Gladys Taber

Tuesday, September 11th 2012, 2:14pm

A bitch owner has pick of the dog to use, they are going to be looking for the best dog for their bitch. I wouldn't use a dog that hadn't been health tested and proved themselves in some sphere (agility, obedience, sheep work) and have attributes that I think will compliment and improve the qualities my bitch has.

Tuesday, September 11th 2012, 4:13pm

Quoted from "Toddsmom"

I agree with you. We have not had any testing done, he is a very smart, sociable family member. We don't show our dogs, we just love them as part of the family. Before we have Samson neutered, we would like to pass on his genes.

Tuesday, September 11th 2012, 4:17pm

Quoted from "Toddsmom"

Because if the dog has no accomplishments it hasn't been proven to be breed worthy. I think all border collies should have atleast the most basic herding instincts before even dreaming of breeding them. If they haven't proven that they excel at some activity, then they aren't any more worthy of being bred than my rescue dachshunds, who are great pets. Nevermu d that they are highly inbred from a puppy mill with a slew of issues that wouldn't have been tested for. There are plenty of pet quality dogs that are the product of purposeful working/sporting/confo breedings that there is no reason to breed specifically for anymore of them.

As far as Samson's ability, he can outrun, catch a frisbee on the fly, and loves to herd my cat. We love our dogs, and NO, we are not a puppy mill. We have to make sure the bitch has not come from a puppy mill, or has any undesirable traits. It goes both ways.

Arizahn

Professional

Tuesday, September 11th 2012, 4:55pm

How many litters did Sophie have? And when did you start and stop breeding from her, age wise?
Snoopy Forever!/snoopy

rockbaker

Trainee

Tuesday, September 11th 2012, 5:54pm

Why don't you rescue one?

There are so many beautiful dogs killed every day in the US because of overcrowding....

Border Collies are no exception...

most have been placed in this situation through no fault of their own...

there are many Border Collie rescue groups in your area with dogs that are already neutered and spayed...

Save a life...

you have so much love to give...
Happiness is a warm puppy /snoopy. ~Charles M. Schulz

jewels

Julie the human and Keira the puppy dog

Tuesday, September 11th 2012, 7:50pm

Oh for goodness sake, not this old debate again. Really. Would you all stop preaching to strangers on the internet? Whenever someone so much as whispers 'breeding' on this forum they get a bunch of questions and judgements.

Mellykca

Professional

Tuesday, September 11th 2012, 8:39pm

Quoted from "jewels"

Oh for goodness sake, not this old debate again. Really. Would you all stop preaching to strangers on the internet? Whenever someone so much as whispers 'breeding' on this forum they get a bunch of questions and judgements.

Well said....

People are always going to have different opinions on the matter. When it all comes down to it, it is the dog owners choice, not anyone else's. If someone doesn't ask for opinions or advice, why give it? Interrogation and judgments don't do anything but cause drama...

jewels

Julie the human and Keira the puppy dog

Tuesday, September 11th 2012, 9:50pm

But this information is repeatedly delivered in every thread relating to breeding, even if that wasn't what the thread was about. It's as welcome as someone knocking on your door selling their religion. It's not been asked for, so why put it in someone's face?

Eg. this particular thread, could have (should have) been met with responses such as 'I'm not in your area but good luck with finding a good breeding match' or, 'oh I am interested, I'll email you to discuss details' etc etc...relevant...not judging...

I think it's unfair to the original poster, and is a bit arrogant really.

kglacer

Unregistered

Tuesday, September 11th 2012, 10:15pm

Or if the person breeding was unaware of the information provided they might think twice - heck if this person decides to get health tests done because of this thread, then it was a million times worth it.

If not, then whatever, but to people who it matters, it's worth it. That's the difference - of course non-health tested puppies can be healthy, but don't you think the odds are better if they are? And capable border collies (working/sports) are much more wanted than ones who aren't, so means the liklihood of finding a good home rises. There's a bigger picture here - you can all take it how you are but it's not going to change reality.

I'm not saying this person is uneducated on the topic of breeding but if you consider the amount of people who do breed with 0 knowledge, then it's worth it to just say hey you know what, here's the information, take it or leave it. You guys think I'm rude that's fine, if I can make the tiniest difference by being "rude" then I will....

Like I said, breeder may know all of these things and breed regardless, that's irrelevant, but for the odd chance they may think twice or make a "better" decision, then there.

bocobutz

Professional

Tuesday, September 11th 2012, 11:06pm

Quoted from "kglacer"

Or if the person breeding was unaware of the information provided they might think twice - heck if this person decides to get health tests done because of this thread, then it was a million times worth it.

on this, i do agree...tho, i, too, get tired of the preaching to

If not, then whatever, but to people who it matters, it's worth it. That's the difference - of course non-health tested puppies can be healthy, but don't you think the odds are better if they are? And capable border collies (working/sports) are much more wanted than ones who aren't, so means the liklihood of finding a good home rises. There's a bigger picture here - you can all take it how you are but it's not going to change reality.

this is not always the case, neither....from both my litters (13 pups, all told), only 3 went for "working" dogs......the rest were wanted for and are simply well loved family companions....when i talked to people about them working it was "i don't want that, i want a good family dog"

I'm not saying this person is uneducated on the topic of breeding but if you consider the amount of people who do breed with 0 knowledge, then it's worth it to just say hey you know what, here's the information, take it or leave it. You guys think I'm rude that's fine, if I can make the tiniest difference by being "rude" then I will....

Like I said, breeder may know all of these things and breed regardless, that's irrelevant, but for the odd chance they may think twice or make a "better" decision, then there.

but, i personally, wouldn't even consider breeding to a 72# BC....i don't care what the tests came back w/
owned by a 4 pack....watched over by an Angel

http://tisatikibcs.WebStarts.com

Tuesday, September 11th 2012, 11:15pm

Quoted from "Jkruse"

Quoted from "Toddsmom"

I agree with you. We have not had any testing done, he is a very smart, sociable family member. We don't show our dogs, we just love them as part of the family. Before we have Samson neutered, we would like to pass on his genes.

I understand that you have not health tested him yet, and I hope that you will (and neuter him if he has any genetic diseases).

I also second what Oenoke said: the owner of the bitch often chooses the dog, so if you want to pass on Samson's genes, if you have him proven in some field (herding, agility, obedience, etc.) the owners of bitches will be more likely to want to breed from him.

To keep from restating what was said in other threads, please read these:
http://www.allbordercollies.com/forums/thread-10949.html
http://www.allbordercollies.com/forums/thread-5541.html?highlight=breeding+info!
http://www.bordercolliesociety.com/BC_Info/Articles/breedmydog.pdf

Good luck! Do you have any pictures of your dogs? We love pictures :)

Ali01

Professional

Wednesday, September 12th 2012, 12:51am

Okay, I'm not even going to add to the...well you know, I'm curious though, is 72# normal for a border collie? Nitro's a full grown male and weighs 45#

~Ali&Nitro

Mellykca

Professional

Wednesday, September 12th 2012, 1:16am

Cancer, starving children and animal abuse have nothing to do with dog breeding. I do not know how you can even try to use that as an analogy. Try this for an analogy....

People have kids all the time without health tests or genetic testing or "proving themselves". The world is over populated and there are tons of staving kids or kids with birth defects. There are also people that I do not think should be "breeding" or bringing children in the world but I do not go around sticking my head in other people's business and tell them not to have kids. It is not my choice or my life, it is theirs. You will also not see commercials telling uneducated or poor people not to have kids because it would not be right to do so, regardless of how some may feel. If someone was considering to have kids and asked advice, sure, give it to them. But you wouldn't go up to a pregnant woman and ask her 100 questions about her ability to care for her child or if she was worthy of having kids would you?

Having your own opinion is great. Giving your opinion and advice to someone that asks for it is wonderful. But interrogating and judging every single person that even mentions breeding is too much. It would be nice if people could post without all the negative preaching. It is the dog owners choice, not anyone else's.

Even if you feel you must "educate" people on how you think they should not be breeding their dog (even if they do not ask for an education), I am sure you can find a much nicer and more diplomatic way of doing so.

Arizahn

Professional

Wednesday, September 12th 2012, 1:30am

The least the OP could do is find an activity that her dog excells at and use it as an example of why he is a good choice as a stud. It will be fun for the dog, and will really benefit their attempts to garner interest in him.

After all, the owner of the bitch is the one who does all the real work. No one in their right mind will go to the expense and effort of breeding and raising a litter of puppies if they are not sure that both parents are nice natured, capable of fulfilling some dog shaped role - be that working, sporting or companion - and at least reasonably healthy.

Now, before you breed from your lovely dog OP, we do indeed want pictures:D Lots and lots of pictures!

And would you like a puppy, by the way?
Snoopy Forever!/snoopy

Wednesday, September 12th 2012, 2:00am

If people don't want to hear it, then quit putting it on public forums where some of us have spent pain staking hours saving dogs from morons like them and watching countless animals die from the same stupidity. If people weren't so damn stupid then the part of us you so assholishly point out wouldn't have to try to educate every moron who wants to breed their dog for the experience. People should educate themselves, but since they don't, the smaller number of us have to do our damdest to save as many lives as possible. But go on and breed for the hell of it...the rest of us will continue to be here cleaning up your damn messes.

~Gladys Taber

Mellykca

Professional

Wednesday, September 12th 2012, 2:11am

Quoted from "Toddsmom"

If people don't want to hear it, then quit putting it on public forums where some of us have spent pain staking hours saving dogs from morons like them and watching countless animals die from the same stupidity. If people weren't so damn stupid then the part of us you so assholishly point out wouldn't have to try to educate every moron who wants to breed their dog for the experience. People should educate themselves, but since they don't, the smaller number of us have to do our damdest to save as many lives as possible. But go on and breed for the hell of it...the rest of us will continue to be here cleaning up your damn messes.

It's ridiculous that you think you are so much better than everyone else and have the nerve to call people "morons" that do not share the same views as you.

You are not cleaning up anyone's messes by being rude to someone you don't even know that lives across the country or world. You are doing nothing good by judging people from the other side of a computer screen. All you are doing is trying to make yourself seem important to a bunch of "morons" you don't even know. Get a life.

Social bookmarks