You are not logged in.

Register or Login to remove ads.

Dear visitor, welcome to All Border Collies Forums. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Psylocide

Stealthin'

• "Psylocide" started this thread

Friday, April 26th 2013, 9:46pm

Fishing Thread!

Hey... who fishes here?

We FINALLY got nice weather, 70┬░today, tomorrow and 76┬░ on Sunday. This can only mean one thing, it's time to get outside and catch some fish.

Tomorrow I'll be going down the river a ways to get out of the crowd, in search of the best tasting fish I know of, Walleye:

Don't let it fool you into thinking it's some helpless fish though... take a look at the teeth on these guys:

Anyway, I hope to get at least 4 for dinner on Saturday or lunch Sunday... doesn't get much more "organic" then that.

How about you guys? Anyone fish?
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Friday, April 26th 2013, 10:00pm

I went fishing once as a kid and I caught a seagull. My dad never brought me back. I also have a water phobia, so being too close to the water would scare me!

Psylocide

Stealthin'

Friday, April 26th 2013, 10:31pm

I went fishing once as a kid and I caught a seagull. My dad never brought me back. I also have a water phobia, so being too close to the water would scare me!

Caught a Seagull? How did that happen... on the cast?

My curiousity is piqued!
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Friday, April 26th 2013, 11:19pm

I'm going fishing this Sunday. I LOVE fishing. But the 28th is going to be a good day for fly-fishing so I'm going for some trout up here on the Stanislaus River. My favorite fish is still rainbow trout.

Friday, April 26th 2013, 11:25pm

We go fishing every summer. Catch and release, though :) Haven't caught much worth mentioning in years, although the kids LOVE catching anything so lots of sunfish.

Not sure I'd want to catch something like that. Yikes, those teeth!!

Saturday, April 27th 2013, 12:02am

Catching seaguls is common here, they dive bomb you on the cast and take your bait, sometimes they take the hook too.

My first fishing trip was when I was six. My dad was humoring me and gave me a cane pole with a hook to keep me busy while they got bait ready. I put it in the stream and immediately caught a nice sized rainbow trout. Nobody else got so much as a nibble the rest of the day. And I didn't catch another fish for about 8 years. Now I occassionally go deep sea fishing and actually catch something worth keeping every once in a while.
Gotta love 'em.

Saturday, April 27th 2013, 6:55am

Yeah, I was on the coast and the seagull got hooked on. I was young, but I always remember that!

Saturday, April 27th 2013, 1:04pm

Our cabin is located on a great Walleye Lake . Have you heard of Lake Traverse? Its right on the MN/SD border
Its mostly sandy and rocky- no weeds.The walleye are huge when you can catch them that is :S
I am not even sure if the ice is out yet on the lake yet.
Great pics. Do you have an underwater camera
Cathy, Eddie & Joe

Psylocide

Stealthin'

Monday, April 29th 2013, 1:51pm

Our cabin is located on a great Walleye Lake . Have you heard of Lake Traverse? Its right on the MN/SD border
Its mostly sandy and rocky- no weeds.The walleye are huge when you can catch them that is :S
I am not even sure if the ice is out yet on the lake yet.
Great pics. Do you have an underwater camera

Yep, I'm familiar with Lake Traverse.

We have a cabin on Lake Lida in Minnesota... it's in Ottertail County, right between Fergus Falls and Detroit Lakes. It's a bit of a drive but an absolutely awesome lake.

No, I don't have an underwater camera... I just stole that photo from google ;)

As for fishing this weekend, Ella ended up being really fussy Saturday, so I did round two of cleanup from the storm. Rented a pole saw and got all the branches off the roof and stuff, then tried to get out Sunday but ended up getting too busy with family stuff. I was pretty disappointed... I had all the gear loaded up and nowhere to go. :(

Psylocide

Stealthin'

Wednesday, May 1st 2013, 5:17pm

Lookie Lookie what I got yesterday for 150 bucks in perfect (well, it's a little dirty and aged) condition... what a steal!

16' Fiberglass Oswego Canoe, going to change my fishing game for sure! I'm already ahead because I would spend at least $200 bucks during the summer renting canoes. BOOO YAH!!!

Wednesday, May 1st 2013, 7:13pm

I like that one . the one we have doesnt have as flat of a bottom and its too tippy. Good deal for $150
Cathy, Eddie & Joe

Wednesday, May 1st 2013, 8:24pm

Nice canoe!

Psylocide

Stealthin'

Wednesday, May 1st 2013, 9:09pm

I like that one . the one we have doesnt have as flat of a bottom and its too tippy. Good deal for $150

Nice canoe!

Thanks guys! I'm on cloud 9 right now about it.

I've been looking for nearly 3 years and used canoes are NOT easy to come by in these parts. If you do find a used one that's in decent shape, people are usually asking anywhere from $300 - $500. For that price, you can almost buy a brand new plastic one.

I put out want ads all over and finally was just talking to a guy at work about it, said his brother-in-law had one sitting in his backyard and I told him I'd pay cash for it today, offered $100. He came back at $150 and I couldn't even argue... it had to be mine.

Now I'm going to clean it up, refinish the wood thwart and yoke and call it a day. Can't wait to load it up with fishing gear, my wife, my dog, some sandwiches and some beers and get on the water!

jocap

Sage

Thursday, May 2nd 2013, 9:59pm

We ought to go fishing, I suppose....there's 300 yards fishing rights with this property, and we've heard that the sea trout are in the estuary....It's amazing the hints that have been dropped from fisher folk, and there will be more when the salmon run. I could see the trout last summer, but I think the sea trout get right under the bank....we've been advised to look through Polaroids to see them, so I will take a look.
Jo, Cumbria.

jocap

Sage

Wednesday, August 21st 2013, 9:35pm

I've been watching our river, and I've seen the sea trout resting in a deep pool. I have to go and fetch a neighbour the next time I spot them!
The salmon are moving through, now, watched by the angling club who can fish the opposite bank. Still haven't had a go myself....
I always thought that salmon moved upstream, spawned then died, but apparently that's when they have to travel for hundreds of miles. Ours only have to go, at the most, about 10 or 12 miles from the sea, and some live for 5 or 6 spawnings.
I never knew that!
Jo, Cumbria.

izzysmom

Professional

Tuesday, August 27th 2013, 9:24pm

Lookie Lookie what I got yesterday for 150 bucks in perfect (well, it's a little dirty and aged) condition... what a steal!

index.php?page=Attachment&attachmentID=8339

16' Fiberglass Oswego Canoe, going to change my fishing game for sure! I'm already ahead because I would spend at least $200 bucks during the summer renting canoes. BOOO YAH!!!
VERY nice indeed! I believe around here a good used canoe would go for an average price of $400, depending on the quality, sounds like you got an excellent deal.

Must say, the last time I ever fished I was in my early 20s. My family had a small camp on a lake where they stocked trout every few years, and I only ever caught a fish once. Nice-sized trout, best I ever tasted - pan-fried in butter back at the camp that evening. My sister now has a cottage on a lake in the Gatineaus, and she was contemplating taking up fishing there recently. I wouldn't mind joining her, but not so sure I have the guts to kill a fish any more. Guess I'd have to try it and see.

Worst fishing experience for me was actually hours after I'd gone fishing with my dad, and then we returned back to the camp. I'd left my fishing pole on the front porch, and he reminded me late that afternoon that I should remove the non-eaten worm from the hook, something I absolutely wanted nothing to do with. He'd baited the hook for me, but then insisted that I remove the worm hours later. So I did as I was told and went out to attempt to remove the worm. That's when I discovered that the sun had moved in the sky, and said worm was now fully baked...but only on the outside. Talk about grosss.....

Oh, and...hehe...my funniest fishing story was when my dad - who was the world's worst fisherman ever - went out one evening and decided to go fishing just a few yards away from the dock, as the fish were fervently jumping and eating. Us kids sat in the camp, not wanting to join him, and within about 20 minutes we realized what a good choice that had been. As we sat next to the big window that faced out onto the lake, we began to hear noises...which was odd, since our dad was always insistent that we be quiet as church mice whilst trying to catch fish. We all peered outside and saw our dad becoming more and more frustrated as fish leaped and bit at flies all around his boat, but not one took his bait. He was obviously using the wrong bait, but still sat there, determined to hook at least one. Yet as his frustration slowly grew, so did the cursing that carried on the wind back to us. Finally, about 40 minutes later (as we three kids sat there in absolute amusement) our dad stood up in the boat - his face red as a beet with anger - and he threw down his rod, picked up an oar, and began beating the water...trying in vain to smash a fish soundly over the head as it emerged from the murky depths of the lake. It was sort of like watching a watery version of a carnival's Whack-a-Mole game, only this particular whacker had obviously gone stark raving mad, and the whackees must have been having a grand time, breaking the surface just out of reach of the paddle. That was the first time I realized that some things in life are much more entertaining than any tv show could ever be. ;)

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." ~ Will Rogers