You are not logged in.

Register or Login to remove ads.

Dear visitor, welcome to All Border Collies Forums. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

j meister

Beginner

• "j meister" started this thread

Monday, December 3rd 2012, 7:31pm

HELP -21 month border collie with back leg weakness

Hi Everyone, hoping someone can help I have a 21 month old border collie with back leg weakness/stiffness came on the last week usually healthy and energetic got him to vets they examined him but he seemed fine whilst there they are quite sure it isn't his hips but muscular and gave anti inflammatories. Seemed to be getting better but then today back left leg fully up and not weight bearing on it any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Monday, December 3rd 2012, 7:46pm

What did you do today that was different? Could he have turned wrong and twisted it? Maybe a longer rest period is needed.
Linda

One Border Collie Is Never Enough

Tuesday, December 4th 2012, 12:11am

Did they check his knee?
Gotta love 'em.

j meister

Beginner

Tuesday, December 4th 2012, 11:34am

They gave him a physical checked hips and knees they're were pretty sure it was muscular - normal again this morning weight bearing and everything it's really strange wonder if the cold isn't helping either I have a couple of videos of him i'll post thanks for suggestions keep them coming

j meister

Beginner

Tuesday, December 4th 2012, 12:06pm

Red Merle

Intermediate

Tuesday, December 4th 2012, 1:38pm

As long as your vet has checked all the obvious stuff and there's no serious underlying cause, sometimes collies simply overdo things and come up with muscular pains that only a few days rest will fix. We used to get something very similar with our old Collie, Tom. It could take Tom up to a week to get over something similar.
Ben, the White Hair Monster:
Testing James Dyson's finest to destruction since 2008...

Register or Login to remove ads.

Tuesday, December 4th 2012, 2:03pm

Did they check for tick borne illnesses? Or even possible hip dysplasia?

"Dog lovers are a good breed themselves"
~Gladys Taber

j meister

Beginner

Tuesday, December 4th 2012, 2:18pm

Thanks guys, yeah checked for hip issues and said they'd xray him if it reoccurs but they were confident it was muscular they never mentioed anything re: tick borne illnesses?

He is full of energy and has been known to over do things but i've never seen him struggle so much once he has rested for a while and then the next day could be fine but then reoccur again (It's been a week now since first displaying signs of wekness) i'm trying to rest him as much as possible (which can be difficult) and he is taking the anti inflammatory medication so will keep an eye on him and have him back to the vets if he doesn't seem to get any better I think as i have alot of video footage i can show them of the different episodes he has experienced.

Any other thoughts are welcome thanks again for the posts

Tuesday, December 4th 2012, 2:40pm

Thanks guys, yeah checked for hip issues and said they'd xray him if it reoccurs but they were confident it was muscular they never mentioed anything re: tick borne illnesses?

He is full of energy and has been known to over do things but i've never seen him struggle so much once he has rested for a while and then the next day could be fine but then reoccur again (It's been a week now since first displaying signs of wekness) i'm trying to rest him as much as possible (which can be difficult) and he is taking the anti inflammatory medication so will keep an eye on him and have him back to the vets if he doesn't seem to get any better I think as i have alot of video footage i can show them of the different episodes he has experienced.

Any other thoughts are welcome thanks again for the posts
It really sounds like hip dysplasia to me. I say this because my Simon's was diagnosed with hip dysplasia when he was not much older than two years old. We went for a walk one day and when he came home he was all if the sudden weak in one hind left. The next morning he was lame in both hind legs. Drays were ugly. Crate rest and anti inflammatories for a few days and he was back to normal. I am just careful now to keep him from overdoing things so he stays painfree.

Tick borne illnesses can cause joint issues, pain, or lameness as well. Its just a simple blood draw to test and a long term course of antibiotics to treat.

"Dog lovers are a good breed themselves"
~Gladys Taber

j meister

Beginner

Tuesday, December 4th 2012, 10:30pm

Thanks

Social bookmarks