All Border Collie Forums

Full Version: What's for dinner?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What did you all have today or have planned for tomorrow. I'm just bored and thinking about cooking this weekend. Last weekend I had Lobster tail, shrimp and salad. I kinda think Lobster is over-rated. It's good but way too expensive. Though I admit it was my first time cooking it and probably didn't turn out very well (barbecued it in aluminum foil with some butter but I think I overcooked it a little). The sesame shrimp turned out perfect though - now a favorite.
I like lobster alright but it's not worth the price to me. My mom would kill for it though! I personally love crab legs, and they are worth the $$ to me.

Last night I baked wild sockeye salmon fillets with a little lime juice, salt, garlic, and topping of sauteed mushrooms and green onions. Had a big pretty side salad.

I know how it goes getting bored with the normal stuff you cook. I do lots and lots of stirfry. Anytime I'm out of ideas and in a hurry it's stir fry. Wink Usually with chicken or elk. And mix up what flavors I use, usually an oriental sauce that comes with the veggie mix (I'm lazy and buy it bagged and frozen), or plain soy sauce, or it is SO awesome with Yoshidas, especially elk or deer. Served on brown rice.

Lately I've been on a southern food kick. Been making a lot of jambalaya, awesome rich soups, love the flavor, I'm addicted to cajun cooking. If you want some recipes let me know.

Then there are always the old family favorites to pull out occasionally: Mom's Chicken Curry Divan (a super casserole), Mexican Lasagna, Swedish Meatballs over rice.

I've made some other good soups recently, a ham and bean and a green chili with white beans (I used rabbit, but the recipe calls for chicken).
Stirfry and rice sounds perfect. That's what I'll do tomorrow. Big Grin

I love cajun food too. Never cooked any myself. In fact I've never had home cooked cajun food at all. I've only had it at fairs and festivals but I loved it. Would love a recipe or two. What's your favorite?

Mexican Lasagna is probably awesome as well. And I've had Swedish meatballs and loved them. No clue how to make that. Is it easy-ish? You sound like a pretty good cook, making all that stuff. I'm a total newbie.
My mom is a great cook but I was never really interested in learning when I was at home. When I moved out I got a good cookbook and followed the recipes to the letter for a few years. After a while of that you start to figure out what flavors work well together, what you like, and you get better at tinkering and making things up. It's not really that hard.

I'll scan in some recipes for you. They're all fairly easy. I don't do 'fancy'. Wink
We had chicken breasts grilled, seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic, then we made a home made mango salsa using our garden grown jalapenos, cilantro, mangos, red pepper, green onion, lime, and lemon juice. Then we chopped the chicken and wrapped it in a tortilla with some cheese and called it a meal, with a Unibroue Ephemere beer. It was fantastic.
^That sounds awesome. Not sure this thread was such a good idea - it's making me hungrier.
One of my favorites to make is a chicken casserole kind of thing. You take how many ever chix breasts you want, they can be frozen, and put them in a baking dish. Then put cheese on top of the breast, I have used swiss and monterey jack, both are pretty good. Then over top of that, put a can of cream of mushroom or cream of chicken. Cover that with stuffing, and cover with foil. Bake at 450 for one hour... the chicken comes out soooo juicy and tender its amazing.

Tonight I am having ramen and egg sandwhiches (not together in the sandwhich)... pretty gross huh?
(05-28-2011, 07:47 PM)Sagebrush Wrote: [ -> ]One of my favorites to make is a chicken casserole kind of thing. You take how many ever chix breasts you want, they can be frozen, and put them in a baking dish. Then put cheese on top of the breast, I have used swiss and monterey jack, both are pretty good. Then over top of that, put a can of cream of mushroom or cream of chicken. Cover that with stuffing, and cover with foil. Bake at 450 for one hour... the chicken comes out soooo juicy and tender its amazing.

Tonight I am having ramen and egg sandwhiches (not together in the sandwhich)... pretty gross huh?

Do you cook the stuffing first? Are you in the UK? Not sure if stuffing is something else over there. But that sounds pretty quick and easy.

I like ramen but I put chopped celery and green beans in mine. And some tapatio hot sauce (I put hot sauce in just about everything). Smile Grandma taught me that, minus the hot sauce.
We spent the early part of the day at the lake looking at another cabin with my mom. Came home and Bob cut the grass and I cleaned the house and scrubbed the floor. By the time we were both finished we were exhausted so we went out for a pizza.

I do have lots of quick recipes though Brandon. I have one with chicken, stuffing, and cheese and it is made in the crock pot/slow cooker. I would be happy to give you recipes.

I remember someone starting a thread about recipes. We should do that again.
We did Shish ka bobs, grilled asparagus and salad...it was yuummy! I hadn't done kabobs in forever and it really tasted good. I love pretty much anything I can throw on the grill.