All Border Collie Forums

Full Version: Five Dog Breeds (Never want to own)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Since we are talking about our favorite ten, let's touch the other side of this question. What five dog breeds would you personally want nothing to do with? Or at least not own personally. Side note, I by no means am trying to offend anyone with these picks. I am sure these are great dogs for some people, however, I just don't want them for my own.

1. Pits (I admit that I am anti-Pit)
2. Spaniels (They love me, but I really am not into them.)
3. Rots (I just cannot trust a Rottie no matter how "friendly" they may be.)
4. Poodles (No)
5. Chihuahua/Min Pins (I do not like this breed one bit.)
1. Any small yippy hyper toy breed.
2. The big bully breeds, I'm thinking Cane Corso, Presa Canario, Dogo Argentino (I don't know if I'm spelling those right or not)
3. Poodles, just don't like them
4. Any 'doodle.
5. Any of the squished face breeds, can't stand snoring from men or dogs! LOL!

For a while I was having recurring dreams of the boys playing with a little white pitty pup named Sophie. If I was inclined, (which I'm really not) I would attempt a pit only if I had it from a young pup. I admit, although I will take out pits at the shelter, I always ask about them first and I'm apprehensive. It's part of the reason I started volunteering, I wanted to overcome my prejudice, but I'm still not 100% there. There are some very lovely pits and I've never had a problem with any of them, but I am afraid of them, I have to admit. I'm also apprehensive with dobies and large GSDs too.
I have to agree,

#1 No Bullies
#2 No small yippy anything
#3 No poodles, noodles or doodles
#4 No dogs that slobber
#5 No what I call "rug dogs". Any dog that is contenet to lie around all day with no drive.
1. Chiauhau, Mini Pins, Yorkies (sp? i can't stand small yippy dogs)
2. Terriers (too stubborn and difficult to train- at least that's my experience with volunteering at our animal shelter)
3. Irish Wolfhounds, etc. (i just couldn't have a dog that had a 7 yr lifespan- way too sad Sad )
4. Northern breeds (too independent- i like dogs that like to work with you)
5. Hounds (I don't know why... but I just don't like them)

Sorry if i offended anyone...

Why does everyone not want a pittie? lol, i don't know why but i love them, i always like walking the ones that are ok on leash at our shelter. they're big sweet hearts!
Angel's_Sis Wrote:1. Chiauhau, Mini Pins, Yorkies (sp? i can't stand small yippy dogs)
2. Terriers (too stubborn and difficult to train- at least that's my experience with volunteering at our animal shelter)
3. Irish Wolfhounds, etc. (i just couldn't have a dog that had a 7 yr lifespan- way too sad Sad )
4. Northern breeds (too independent- i like dogs that like to work with you)
5. Hounds (I don't know why... but I just don't like them)

Sorry if i offended anyone...

Why does everyone not want a pittie? lol, i don't know why but i love them, i always like walking the ones that are ok on leash at our shelter. they're big sweet hearts!

Pitbulls are Terriers so if you want one you should strike number 2 off your list Smile

I've enjoyed walking a lot of pits at shelters too. I dont think I would want to own one though. Not because of their rep, but because I just think they're kinda boring compared to a lot of other breeds. They wouldn't be on my top 5 dog breeds I wouldn't want though. I know with good owners they can make good or great dogs. I mean, there are breeds I like less. I'll come up with my list after more thought Smile
All the pits I've interacted with have been big sweethearts, so my fear is based completely on media and prejudice, I admit that. That's why I'm trying to overcome it. But, I think when they're made to be mean and aggessive by their idiot owners, the damage they can do is quite substantial. Same as other large dogs. I also grew up with Magnum PI, so I'd say I'm just as wary with dobies as I am with pits.

I wouldn't want to own one (well, except for the white female puppy, if one shows up at the shelter) because of my experience living with a terrier in the past, I want a working partner who's affectionate and eager to please. And also because of the problems with public perception and BSLs. I wouldn't want to get one, then have my neighborhood suddenly ban them or place additional restrictions on having them.
I can't play this game because I can't think of any specific breeds I don't like, it's only the type of dogs that I can't abide and that's all the small yappy ones -there's probably more than five breeds of them though. Needless to say apologies to those of us who might have one of those breeds as a pet.
lol Brandom M- i'm not an expert on dog breeds and I didn't even think of that :wink: For terriers, I mean the smaller ones, mainly JRT and such. So I guess I have a few exceptions: Airedales, Pitties, & staffies.
Hey! Airedales are great with people, they're just headstrong! /laughing

[Image: 1380640761058901875S425x425Q85.jpg]

But they do not come when called! /shrug
BCMixs Wrote:Hey! Airedales are great with people, they're just headstrong! /laughing

[Image: 1380640761058901875S425x425Q85.jpg]

But they do not come when called! /shrug

Man, that's a small little guy. Was that when he was at full growth?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15