All Border Collie Forums

Full Version: She's even picky about raw food...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Food fun time. Ember is fed raw. Because she's picky and wont' eat processed foods more than once or twice in a row. I try to keep Kefir on hand, as well as salmon and a carton of eggs, all as random, sporatic special toppers to the food she already loves. I just discovered our local meat market (where things are so much cheaper!). Got a cow femur cut down (huge!), pig ears to dehydrate (done!), turkey wings with skin and bone, and liver to make treats with (also done!).

Made the mistake of letting Ember have one of the bone cuts for a dinner, and then a pigs ear after the next breakfast, and a turkey leg for the following breakfast.

Now she's trying to skip her meals in hopes that she'll get these "Specials" instead. And just when I thought I had won the picky eater battle.

What dog skips one raw food hoping for another?!
You just listed high fat foods. High fat equals more flavor, but hopefully not diarrhea. She may need a little rest from food. Hopefully, it won't last long.
I know the bone is pretty rich, and I found out about pig ears being fatty (but I don't know how, after having worked with it - but then again my only visual of fat is in steak). But I thought Turkey was lean? She stole a bite of cat food around 2 today and then ate all her normal dinner after trying to get me to go to the kitchen all day. No tummy issues (yet).
(02-07-2018, 07:58 PM)Ember Wrote: [ -> ]I know the bone is pretty rich, and I found out about pig ears being fatty (but I don't know how, after having worked with it - but then again my only visual of fat is in steak). But I thought Turkey was lean? She stole a bite of cat food around 2 today and then ate all her normal dinner after trying to get me to go to the kitchen all day. No tummy issues (yet).

Yes Turkey flesh is considered to be lean but the skin as with chicken skin is considered fat.  If you consider the whole package of a turkey wing the percentage of fat (skin) compared to percentage of flesh and bone makes the wing a relatively high fat meal compared to say, a whole turkey breast where the percentage of skin (fat) is lower because of the higher overall flesh content.  Nothing at all wrong with the turkey wing, great contribution to a raw diet but best taken into consideration with the overall diet. i.e.: if a turkey wing was on todays menu all other animal products for the day would be from the lean "flesh" choices and some organ meat. Just a note: Heart is considered flesh rather than organ because it is a muscle.
Good to know! Ember's food is packaged and sent to me as minced patties, so I guess the take away here is be sparing on the extras, maybe one fun thing every few days or week. I do need to portion control a bit better too. I'm thinking cutting her down to 3/2 or 1/2 patties (twice daily) on days we train or get fun yummies. She self regulates so well that even with the recommended feeding she'll go off breakfast one day because we trained hard the day before.
It sounds as though we feed our dogs similarly with perhaps the difference of me having the time and freezer space to make my own B.A.R.F to which I also add a different topper randomly i.e.: sardine, egg etc. Either way is great and I tell myself that the pre-maid whether home or commercial is like a take-away night. When I feed turkey wings and such, lamb shanks, roo tails, chicken carcass, etc I call them homemade days, gourmet days, whole food days and the other meal of the day will be content that will balance the days intake. I swap them out for the usual meals entirely rather than look at them as extra's.

Goumet days are hilarious because my partner has a weird fetish for watching the boys enjoy their whole foods. Seriously ! When he knows it is lamb shank day he will ask me to call him when I feed the dogs. He'll come back from a shed (barn) saying, "hang on, I just want to get a beer". LOL He'll say things like, "ah you can feel it doing them good."
Max likes his privacy and goes a little down the yard and we respect that but can still see his enjoyment. Jasper on the other hand will work on it anywhere, often bringing the shank to us to hold for him so he can get a better angle.

I know, we are clearly a little boring and have got far too much time on my hands when this is so entertaining to us.
Oh I totally get it LOL! I'm a little opposite. I adore the enjoyment she gets out of it, but the crunch of the bones gets to me. I quartered a chicken for the first time a few years ago and I haven't been able to touch a whole chicken since (from the supermarket, not butchered myself lol). Bones get to me. But she loves them so I give them to her then walk away, then realize not a great idea because she likes to take her specials someplace comfortable to enjoy. Like the couch. Can't have that!

I usually put her on a towel on my carpet, then help her readjust as she works her way towards the edge. She doesn't like this (because hey hoomin that's my food hands off). It took me readjusting just twice. Then all of a sudden if I came around the bar, she'd grab whatever she was working on and run it to the middle of the towel. "No need! See? I got it!" LOL!

I can't wait until our warmer days that I can take her out in the grass to enjoy her yummies.
Hahaha!!! I bought a cleaver a couple years ago and I whack things to pieces pretty regularly. I'm a combination of all of the above. I buy whole carcass (rabbit, guinea pig, duck, quail, rats, mice, fish) and let them eat that (my husband is completely squeamish and can't stand the thought). I also buy grinds, both whole carcass and meat, bone, and selected organs. I get turkey, chicken, and pork from the grocery, I don't always get the right balance of organs for those. And I raise beef, goat, and sheep to make my own balance food. I also have pastured chickens, so plenty of eggs. Sometimes my dogs' meals will have 3 different species in one meal. Sometimes they eat it all outside, half outside, or all inside. You just never know.
Oh my gosh GM, that is such "fine dining". I don't know that I will share this with my partner, he will want me to start breeding "things" for the dogs to eat. Rodents and such, perfect prey model yeah !

My BARF has 3 different animals in it. Roo is in most because it is incredibly lean and then more easily built on with the cuts of other animals in respect to fats.
When mine get 3 different animals in one meal, it's because I'm finishing a pack of one thing and starting another and I also have a turkey neck or some other small piece of something I need to get rid of, or they are having a meal of one thing, but the organs I defrosted didn't end up coming from the same animal.
Pages: 1 2