All Border Collie Forums

Full Version: Social life of a dog
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have stopped volunteering at the dog club. Because of that I no longer have free training classes and let my membership lapse. As much as I would love to take some class or another to kill our boredom. It is not in the cards for now. Second to the boredom is concern of his social skills.  He is not with dogs on leash for long periods of time like class. His leash manners were not great when in class two years ago. He is not aggressive just easily pulled away from his mindfulness going deaf if not distracted before he decides he is interested enough to focus in on a dog. Doesn't help the neighbors just say oh let him have fun as they stand there with their dog basically jumping around asking for him to come over. Good grief.
 He never gets out with other dogs off leash. Do dogs regress in this area if they lack opportunities?
I have heard that in regards to training - IE, leash skills will go out the door if there are lapses with no leash walks. For socialization, I would think it would be a matter of novel stimuli - If you can keep the enrichment going at home, it may take the edge off the missed opportunities. I don't really know there, though.
(12-29-2017, 05:36 PM)Ember Wrote: [ -> ]I have heard that in regards to training - IE, leash skills will go out the door if there are lapses with no leash walks. For socialization, I would think it would be a matter of novel stimuli - If you can keep the enrichment going at home, it may take the edge off the missed opportunities. I don't really know there, though.

Not sure what that means? I must be missing something..... 

I am positive in mental stimulation being present. Every interaction is made in to some sort of game either to work on basic manners or stumbling on games accidentally created by basic manners. Leash walks, full out run chasing toys is implemented for lessons on impulse control and proper aerobic exercise, additional indoor stimuli games moved to outdoor environments for extra challenges top it all off.

Interaction with other dogs is the missing element. We are the envy of the neighborhood as relationships go...until they bring their dogs to a stop to chat then they think it is too rough on him if I don't just let him wander over of his own free will to play. Awe come on let him have some fun once in a while is the common phrase from one owner. 
There are two in particular both with some sort of doodles. All over the place excitable on leash bark at us from across the street as we walk in opposite directions. If they are coming by on my side of the street and we are out working in my front yard. I see them coming and promptly call him to leash and attach him to me sit by my side as we chat if he attempts to rise and engage with dog which is spazzing out I back further way as we converse. Awe come on let him have a little fun. Unless you are in a class with other focused owners intent on a goal...it seems you are surrounded by people that praise and envy you in one breath then in the next tell you not to be such a fuddy duddy. Hard to find a co conspirator to work with outside of classes.
gator hunt long

https://youtu.be/AQFjJey2WLI[/video]