All Border Collie Forums

Full Version: Having to rehome Dash :(
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I don't know if anyone remembers but I posted on here a few times last year when we were having problems.

Our boy Dash was having dietary problems but we finally found a food combination after blood tests etc that works well for him. Unfortunately, by time we found out what the issues were Dash had shown aggression when I fed him one day and although he is ok with his food now the relationship between him and myself was ruined. We have been to 1 on 1 training sessions and started right at the beginning trying to correct Dash's overall behaviour because we 'over loved' him and he thinks he is in charge and shows no confidence in us to lead when we are out and about.

Because of all this, I am not able to give him the strict, working-dog, life style he needs to be at his best and so we are looking to rehome him. I have created an advert online but I will not let him go to anyone who isn't experienced and doesn't have the kind of life he requires.. which is why I was hoping there might be someone on here with a space in their heart for my boy?

We are from Lancashire in the UK, the ad below. Please don't think that this is an easy decision for me, it is heart breaking and I only want the best for him. Thanks.

https://www.pets4homes.co.uk/classifieds...yland.html
Very sorry to hear about that. Not for a moment do I think it is an easy decision, you can only acknowledge the dogs needs, assess your own capabilities and limitations and do what you think is best. If you feel the relationship is irretrievable then that is not a good place to be and may cause more problems for the dog. I can't help you as I am in Australia however if you were here I would recommend our "herdtohomes" rescue who work with rehoming dogs that are still in their current owners care as well as rescue.
Through friends I know of a British rescue that does similar, "Valgreys". They have the experience to properly assess dogs and prospective owners.
I'm going to second what Trifan said. Contact the collie rescues in your area and let them know you are willing to keep Dash until a home is found that will be good for him. Another idea. Do you think Dash would be good at sports like agility or fly ball? If so I would contact trainers. Explain the issues you have had and the reason for re-homing him.

I'm so sorry that you are having to go through this.
(11-18-2017, 07:02 AM)LrdDashington Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, I don't know if anyone remembers but I posted on here a few times last year when we were having problems.

Our boy Dash was having dietary problems but we finally found a food combination after blood tests etc that works well for him. Unfortunately, by time we found out what the issues were Dash had shown aggression when I fed him one day and although he is ok with his food now the relationship between him and myself was ruined. We have been to 1 on 1 training sessions and started right at the beginning trying to correct Dash's overall behaviour because we 'over loved' him and he thinks he is in charge and shows no confidence in us to lead when we are out and about.

Because of all this, I am not able to give him the strict, working-dog, life style he needs to be at his best and so we are looking to rehome him. I have created an advert online but I will not let him go to anyone who isn't experienced and doesn't have the kind of life he requires.. which is why I was hoping there might be someone on here with a space in their heart for my boy?

We are from Lancashire in the UK, the ad below. Please don't think that this is an easy decision for me, it is heart breaking and I only want the best for him. Thanks.

https://www.pets4homes.co.uk/classifieds...yland.html

I remember you.  And I really feel for you - I had to rehome my Dash earlier this year.

You're probably aware of the Border Collie Trust down in Staffordshire.  I've been there several times and they seem good.  Also, Freedom of Spirit over in West Yorkshire.  I've only had phone contact with them.  Wiccaweys over in Lincolnshire would always make space for a collie, I think.  It might be worth ringing them (if you haven't done so already) to see if they know anyone who is looking for a dog just like Dash.

I admire your honesty in your advert.

I wish you all the best.  It's a heart-wrenching decision.  Sad
Thanks, I will have a look into them now. Ideally wanted to avoid a rescue because I thought it would mean he would be taken into a kennel while waiting and we don't want that for him.
(11-19-2017, 08:01 PM)Tasha Wrote: [ -> ]I'm going to second what Trifan said.  Contact the collie rescues in your area and let them know you are willing to keep Dash until a home is found that will be good for him.  Another idea.  Do you think Dash would be good at sports like agility or fly ball?  If so I would contact trainers.  Explain the issues you have had and the reason for re-homing him.  

I'm so sorry that you are having to go through this.

I think Dash would be brilliant at something like that and I did plan to take him to agility until his aggression with other dogs started.
(11-21-2017, 11:18 AM)LrdDashington Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks, I will have a look into them now. Ideally wanted to avoid a rescue because I thought it would mean he would be taken into a kennel while waiting and we don't want that for him.

Yes, I see what you mean.  I'm pretty sure Wiccaweys only kennel their dogs at night - they are free to roam and play during the day in a secure paddock.  Border Collie Trust do kennel. Not sure about Freedom of Spirit.

Good luck.
Also Morgan's Dog Rescue in Alston, Cumbria.....
I am in the US so rescues might handle things differently where you are.  Rescues here often appreciate it when an owner will keep a dog that they want to re-home because it keeps the rescue from having to find a foster home or a place to kennel the dog.

Even though Dash has issues with other dogs I would still try contacting agility and fly ball trainers.  I know a trainer that adopted a collie with major issues and has turned her into a fabulous fly ball dog.